The American Federation of Teachers - Oregon (AFT-Oregon or AFT-OR) is hiring a Finance Operations Specialist to join the Federation’s staff team. This is a full-time permanent position with excellent benefits.
We seek someone with strong financial and budgetary skills, the ability to collaborate with union elected leadership and their coworkers, and a demonstrated commitment to union values of racial justice, gender equity, and labor solidarity.
The Finance Operations Specialist is responsible for overseeing the finances of AFT-Oregon, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures, and managing financial resources. The Finance Operations Specialist manages accounts receivable and payable and maintains financial records, including records involving campaign finance. This position also requires collaborating with the AFT-OR leadership and particularly the Treasurer and Finance Committee on the preparation of the annual budget, providing accurate financial reports to the Executive Council, helping with the development of financial policies and procedures, and serving as the main contact for our external auditor.
The position can be worked flexibly from either your home office or our in-person office, with a portion of duties requiring you to come into the office approximately once a week.
AFT-Oregon is a 501(c)(5) non-profit umbrella organization for statewide local unions representing about 18,000 members, led by an elected board. We have an annual budget of ~$2M, a professional staff of nine, and an elected leadership of 15 executive council members. Our 27 locals represent college and university faculty, higher education researchers and instructors, graduate employees, classified staff at K12 and community colleges, and emerging union sectors such as childcare, online education, and education nonprofits. The Federation is a central organization which provides institutional knowledge, expert staff, direct support, legislative advocacy, resource sharing, and leadership development. We value bottom-up democratic unionism which trusts that workplace leaders should be at the forefront of decisions which will impact them in matters related to bargaining, organizing, and politics.
Reports to President, Executive Vice President, Treasurer.
Starting salary between $63,814.40 - $71,320.08
Benefits: This is a non-supervisory position, represented by the independent staff union, the United Employees Guild. The salary range is [Step 1 to Step 4]. This is a full-time position with generous benefits including 100% employer covered healthcare and dental for self and dependants, and 12% of salary in additional retirement contributions. Work-life balance remains a priority with staff enjoying 20 paid days leave annually which increases with longevity. Staff receive an additional 5 personal days a year, on top of 13 paid holidays and a full paid week of holiday leave between Christmas and New Years. Other benefits include religious observance flexibility, home office stipend, and professional development funds.
To Apply: Please submit a resumé and optional cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cover letter should highlight your experience with the labor movement, budget work, financial collaboration which supports a large organization, and how your skills and experience match the values and direction of AFT-Oregon.
Applicants selected for a full interview will be asked to perform a financial/budgetary exercise to demonstrate their familiarity and orientation towards this work.
Questions can be sent to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Timeline: Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The first review of applications will begin on September 25th and continue until the position is filled.
Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity Statement
The American Federation of Teachers does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and community partners.
The American Federation of Teachers is an equal opportunity employer. We take proactive steps to ensure an affirmative action approach to employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Job Title : Finance Operations Specialist
The Finance Operations Specialist is responsible for overseeing the finances of AFT-Oregon, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures, and managing financial resources. The Finance Operations Specialist manages accounts receivable and payable and maintains financial records. This position works with AFT-OR leaders, particularly the Treasurer and Finance Committee, on the preparation of the annual budget, providing accurate financial reports to the Executive Council, helping with the development of financial policies and procedures, and serving as the main contact for our external auditor.
Reports to President, Executive Vice President, Treasurer.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience, demonstrated through work experience, education, or certificates using QuickBooks or similar for accounts, payroll, statements and reports, and Excel including financial functions and charts.
- Good understanding of bookkeeping procedures, financial management principles, and budgets.
- Familiarity with external audits.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive financial information.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- At least 2 years experience as a Finance Operations Specialist, Finance Administrator, Finance Assistant, or similar role.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge and experience with labor unions
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or Economics or related subject
- Manage the regular flow of income and expenditures and payroll in multiple accounts using QuickBooks.
- Process bank deposits and accounts receivable
- Follow policies and procedures for expenditures, including approval and dual signing.
- Input employee hours and pay rates accurately, ensure proper tax deductions and compliance with payroll regulations, assist with new employees' benefit provider enrollment and maintain related files.
- Generate regular reports including accounts payable/receivable, payroll and revenue, and meet monthly to review these with the Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Establish and maintain an organized filing system for financial records including budgets, percaps, expense reports, and dues deductions.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for auditors, providing necessary information and documentation.
- Maintain relationships with finance software vendors.
- Advise and attend as needed Finance Committee meetings and Executive Council meetings.
Budgeting and Policy responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Treasurer and Finance Committee to develop the annual budget proposal.
- Meet regularly with the Executive Council and Executive Committee to present and discuss financial reports and budgets.
- Assist in developing and maintaining written policies and procedures for revenue, expenses, payroll processing, lobbyist reports, etc.
- Review proposed employment contracts.
- Managing mail at the office
- Opening and closing the office in support of others’ needs to use the building
- Managing vendor relationships
- Other duties as assigned
- Support AFT-Oregon political contributions and political finance affairs, manage AFT-Oregon political contributions, and ensure campaign finance compliance.
- Ensure accurate coding within QuickBooks for non-chargeable items and calculate chargeable/non chargeable ratio for political activities related to fair-share payers.
- Assist locals and the Federation with per capita dues payments, processing, and calculations.
- Analyze financial records as requested, report results
- Act as a point person for local treasurers' inquiries and collaborate with the Finance Committee on local treasurer training and support.
- Assist with planning and staffing AFT-Oregon events.
This position has some hybrid flexibility, with a portion of duties requiring you to come into the AFT-Oregon office at least once a week. Some statewide travel will be involved.